Monday, January 3, 2011

Time Flies

Somehow I went from "Oh my God, January is sooo far away" to "Oh my God, I leave in a week!" Where did all that time go? It's very different packing this time compared to packing for a year in Africa. For one thing, I have to actually look presentable while teaching in Panama. For another, my mother will probably be moving during my two years away, so instead of just leaving all my stuff lying around her house like I did last time, I have to actually pack it all up in some sort of organized way. I humbly bow down to the gods of The Container Store. All of my wordly possessions fit into three of their containers. Except the one drawerful that is going to Panama with me. (My mantra: Always, always, always underpack.)

I'm a mess of emotions right now and I don't even know how to describe what I'm feeling. Mostly excitement. On New Year's Eve everyone went around the room and said the highlight of their year -- I know, it sounds corny, but someone just suggested it spontaneously and it was actually really cool. Person after person went and I kept thinking, What am I going to say? Quadbiking in the Namibian desert? Beating up my mugger in Kenya? Riding motorcycles in Uganda? Dancing with the Maasai on the beaches of Zanzibar? Swimming in the Nile? Riding elephants in Zimbabwe? The day we spent at Victoria Falls? The many friendships I made along the way? Finally it was my turn and without even knowing what I was going to say, my mouth opened and said, "Finally getting the mail and opening my invitation to the Peace Corps." So even though I'm a nervous and anxious and excited ball all rolled into one, I am so happy that it's finally here. I'm finally going into the Peace Corps!

1 comment:

  1. ABBY!! Firstly, Happy New Year - and what a start to the year it's going to be! So excited to hear about the start of your adventures, have been thinking about you and all your prep! Thanks for following my year so far, and i'll most certainly be following your updates as they come. All i can say is... RAGGAETONNNNN!!! bahaha.. it's gonna be amazing! :)
    Wishing you only the very best, and um... i'm gonna need to find me some Jesus stickers too ;) much love!!!
    PS: Yesterday, in my local grocery store here in Singapore, I found a 4-pack of Savanna Drys for USD8. Love. globalisation.

    ReplyDelete