Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Panama-isms

One of my favorite things about Panama is how every conversation needs to start with the weather. Specifically, complaining about the weather. There are only two types of weather here: hot or rainy. Literally every conversation starts with gripes about either the heat or the rain. An exclamation such as “This heat!” or “This rain!” accompanied by a dramatic frowning face is the norm, followed by how either the heat or rain is making them lazy. (Literally, “me da pereza,” it gives me laziness.) It doesn't matter if it's a complete stranger (in that case, it's a great way to start a conversation), a coworker and you have to discuss work, or your best friend and you have way better things to talk about. You have to start with a weather complaint.

Another one of my favorite things about Panama is the belief system that Panamanians have about their health. The biggest belief is that you cannot under any circumstance mix hot and cold. For instance, if you are hot, you should not bathe or swim. Living with my host family last year, I liked to go for runs in the late afternoon. Naturally, after a run, I wanted to shower. My host mother thought I was crazy and would insist that I cool down first. So I got into the routine of running, sitting and eating dinner, and then showering. I don't remember if I ever got a cold during that period. But I did get a fungus on my chest, neck, and back from sitting around in wet clothes. Another example of a fatal error would be ironing and then opening the freezer. Your body can't handle the shock of going from one extreme temperature to another! Cooking soup? God forbid, don't open the fridge! Engaging in any of these risky activities would result in dire circumstances – at best, a cold; at worst, death. Maybe this explains why the most popular lunch food is soup. (Specifically, a traditional soup called sancocho.) Why, at the hottest point of the day, would you want steaming hot soup? It makes sense, if you are trying to maintain your body temperature. Maybe this also explains why people drink more hot coffee and tea than water. (And then complain of headaches and dizziness when they barely drink any water.) I've also been told that if I get caught in the rain, I need to go home and bathe right away. I'm not sure how getting wet would solve the problem of being wet, except that it would ensure that I change into dry clothes. The one medical advice that I agree with? Cinnamon tea cures upset stomachs. Try it. Any time I have a sniffle or a cough, everyone asks me what I did wrong. Did I bathe right after working out? Did I go swimming on a hot day? Did I drink a hot beverage right after consuming a cold one? Silly me.

1 comment:

  1. The hot/cold thing reminds me SO much of Italians! They have pretty much the exact same mentality. Kind of a sad story but: the dry cleaning woman down the street from our apartment had a daughter who died really young, and she always attributed her death to the fact that she ate ice cream on a hot day...

    ReplyDelete